Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Transforming Sadness and Depression: The First Thing

There was a Sufi mystic who remained happy his whole life- no one had ever seen him unhappy- who was always laughing, who was laughter, whose whole being was a perfume of celebration.

In his old age, when he was dying- on his deathbed and still enjoying, laughing hilariously- a disciple asked, “You puzzle us. You are still laughing; how are you managing it?”

The old man said, “It is simple. I asked my master. I went to my master as a young man; I was only seventeen and already miserable, and my master was old, seventy, and he was sitting under a tree, laughing for no reason at all. There was nobody there, nothing has happened, nobody had cracked a joke or anything, and he was simply laughing, holding his belly. I asked him, ‘What is the matter with you? Are you mad or something?’

“He said, ‘One day I was also as sad as you are. Then it dawned on me that it is my choice, it is my life.’ Since that day, every morning when I get up the first thing I decide is… before I open my eyes I say to myself, ‘Abdullah’”-that was his name-“‘what do you want? Misery? Blissfulness? what are you going to choose today?’ And it happens that I always choose blissfulness.”

— Osho, Emotional Wellness

No comments:

Post a Comment